MAZE PETROGLYPHS

NOVEMBER 2017

MAZE PETROGLYPH

MAZE PETROGLYPH

MAZE PETROGLYPHS

PETRIFIED WOOD NEAR THE MAZE PETROGLYPHS

DEER JUST BELOW THE PETROGLYPHS

The trail to the Maze Petroglyphs is located just a couple miles south of the Wire Pass Trailhead along House Rock Valley Road, and is accessible to low-clearance vehicles. The hike is approximately 1.5-miles round-trip through flat, open desert. I had only heard of these petroglyphs a couple days before I visited them in November of 2017 while looking for other hikes to do in the Buckskin Gulch area. Apparently this hike is starting to get popular as the BLM just recently created parking spaces along the side of the road and made a trail leading to the panel. 

The reviews of the area I had read on-line were all done before the trail and parking area were made. As they are not marked, I didn't realize they were related to the Maze Petroglyph hike and drove past them. I ended up making my own way to the panel following rock features I had seen on-line, before finding the trail just before reaching the petroglyphs. The petroglyphs are impressive. Particularly the two-headed snake about to enter the maze. Nobody else was there when I visited, except for a group of deer just below the panel.